Mango Fruit Custard is a quick and easy dessert made with mangoes and other seasonal fruits in a custard base. This dessert is a summertime favourite especially for parties and get togethers. Mango is the king of fruits and universally enjoyed by one and all. It is basically a summer fruit. So this rich and creamy dessert is a popular treat for friends and family. Fruit custard is also known as fruit salad with custard sometimes. This is because it is made by adding in fruits to custard sauce. Some recipes add chopped nuts for fruit custard. But like like to make it with just fruits, especially mangoes.
Traditional custard base contains eggs but the more popular Indian version is mostly made using store bought eggless custard powder. Seasonal fruits such as pineapples, bananas, pomegranate, raspberries, strawberries, sapote (or chikus) are all good choices. Avoid oranges, mandarins or grapefruits as they are a little too citrusy do not work well for custards.
This Mango Fruit Custard is my go to recipe for summertime parties. It is an easy take on fruit trifles such as the Gulab Jamun Trifle. https://relishdelish.ca/recipes/gulab-jamun-trifle-a-trifle-with-fruits-and-gulab-jamun/
Another family favourite summertime dessert especially during Canada Day is Strawberry Phirni https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x4wae3MA7c
- Dice fruits and keep aside.
- Mix custard powder in 1/4 cup milk until well blended.
- Boil milk, adding sugar to taste. When the milk comes to a boil, mix in the custard blend. Stir well and add in the condensed milk.
- Keep stirring for a few minutes (about 5 to 6 minutes). Then turn off flame and cool.
- Transfer custard to a serving bowl and add in the chopped fruits. Refrigerate for about 4 hours or more. Serve cold.